Thursday, September 11, 2008

Bloody...Mouth?

Ok, here's a weird one for you, dear readers.

I have a new and intriguing problem. Totally don't know if it could be related to pregnancy...but here goes.

The past few mornings, I've woken up with a bloody mouth.

My teeth and gums and lips are caked in gummy half-dried blood. Apparently, I've rolled over a few times and have now stained my pillowcases with the same.

There is no source that I can find for this blood. My lips aren't dried or cracked, I have no sores in my mouth, my gums have no cuts or contusions, my tongue doesn't feel like it's been bitten, I haven't had a bloody nose...you get the picture.

Oh, and the husband and the pets show no signs that I've become a vampire.

So where the heck is this blood coming from? It's not a huge amount, but it's enough to disturb me.

Any thoughts?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is actually pretty common. Your hormone levels are out of whack with your pregnancy. My dentist told me with all 3 of my kids that gum bleeding is not at ALL uncommon. It will go away...have no fear. No vampires in sight. :)

Tiffany Aller said...

I've never heard of that - and I thought I was paranoid enough to have read every pregnancy symptom list around! Thanks for the insight, Jen...it's just so freaky to wake up with a mouth full of blood and have no earthly idea where it could have come from.

Anonymous said...

I also have this with my current pregnancy but mine happen after meals...:)

Anonymous said...

My dentist even told me to expect it! That's why it is SO important to have good oral health when pregnant. One midwife even told us that she has stopped pre mature labor by having women swich with warm salt water!